Diary for 1881

John Marsh – Celebrations for the opening of the railway line to Dubbo

Saturday 29th January 1881
Left home at 8.15, and started at 9 from Redfern for Bathurst which we reached by 5.40. Mr Piddington M.L.C. was my fellow passenger as far as Mt.Victoria, and in the adjoining carriage were Mrs Wade, (wife of the Engineer of Western Lines of Railway) and her pretty cousin Miss Duguid, both of whom went on to Orange for the night.
I went to the Royal Hotel with Milly who met me at the Railway Terminus on arrival in Bathurst. Judge Josephson was at the Inn, the 2nd Sessions being just ended and kindly allowed Milly and myself to share his sitting room with him. Dined at 7, very good dinner, and the Claret also good. Took a stroll round the Town, called at Curtis’s the Jeweller who has a new shop filled with very handsome goods of all kinds. During the journey the sky was gloomy and overcast, but on arrival at Bathurst: and before we were gladdened by bright sunshine. Rain too had evidently lately fallen in and around Bathurst.

Sunday 30th January 1881
Went to “All Saints Cathedral” in the morning: sat with the Hawkins’ – who were both in Church. Canon Smith performed the service. Went afterwards with George Pinnock to dinner with him. Milly went also. Mrs A.West (nee Lucy McPhillamy) was of the party. Very good dinner, roast duck, beefsteak pie, champagne in honour of our arrival which, of course, I did not drink. Milly left afterwards with Mrs A. West who pioneered him to the Fox’s who are living in the direction of the C.E. College, in a house they rent from the Dargins. Drank tea at the Pinnocks and went afterwards to Evening Service at Cathedral, Canon Smith performing the Service. Afterwards met Mr and Mrs Fox and one of Canon Smith’s daughters and walked with them as far as Dr Curtis’, upon whom I called, waited a long time for Mrs Cortis who was putting the children to bed, Cortis’ father, lately from England was lying full length on the sofa and talking tome all the while without any apology for this seeming inattention, however, I hear he is an invalid which circumstance brought him out to Australia a second time with is daughter. Mrs Cortis, after making her appearance for a short time, left, to pacify some squealing children in the nursery and I then took my departure. Saw the Smiths of “Lanarth” at Church in the morning and with them Ada Watson and her sister, who came up in the same train with me yesterday. “All Saints Choir” is very good and much improved by having lady singers (Mrs Curtis, Miss Smith and Miss Hanyard). C.Naylor’s voice sounds as well as ever. Church crowded at night.
On our way to George’s we spoke to Mrs James Stewart of Mt.Pleasant. She is looking as young and as pretty as she did 12 years ago. Stewart also looks improved. Health and wealth are the two most enviable things in life! Without them every thing “Auld, Stale and unprofitable”! And the World a Waste!

Monday 31st January 1881
Milly left for Blayney at 6. After breakfast wrote to Grace and sent her a telegram. Went to the new Court House, and sat on the Bench with B.Lee p.m. for a short time, then went into the other Court where Judge Josephson was holding a District Court. Saw MacIntosh there, stayed only for a few minutes. At XI, went by the Train to Wellington, Dergin and his two little girls were in my carriage. And in the next were Mrs Lydiard and her daughter Lydiard and Miss Dora Fosbery, also W.C. Greville and his two daughters. Dr Curtis went as far as George’s Plains. The weather was very warm, and we reached Wellington at 6. We all got accommodation at Hughes Inn, (perfectly[?] and about a fortnight ago) (formerly kept by J.Mylacharane) The food provided was very bad, and I had to share a bedroom with Wardell, Manager of A.J. Stock Bank at Orange. The room was suffocatingly hot, and we had no mosquito nets, so that it was impossible to sleep, and people smoking in the verandah and Lydiard or Greville snoring in the room adjoining completely put sleep out of the question.
The Bathurst Band, paid for by Gardiner, came with us, and played in the Balcony of our Inn till XI. After tea I called with Caswell P.M. upon Bailey (the Bank of N.S.Wales) to see the Traffic Manager (Foley), who we heard was there, and to hear from him when the Contractor’s Train would start in the morning for Dubbo. I found at Bailey’s, Frederick Marsh C.P.S. and I was introduced to Mrs Bailey and her mother Mrs Johnson, widow of the Solicitor formerly of Nudgee but now dead. Lambert called to see me at the Inn, and I saw also Forwood for a few minutes, and Dr Rygate also, who had come to inquire what time the train was to start.

Page missing? Tuesday 1st Feb?

Had such hot weather for many years. I felt, in addition to being uncomfortably warm, very ill indeed, having about the middle of the journey been attacked with what was more like cholera than anything else. After however placing my luggage in safety, I went to the nearest Inn, the “Occidental” kept by Nicholas who was in Dubbo when I was P.M. there. And there I found a coloured man John Brown[?] who was once cook at [Hertstets?] in Wellington, and from him I obtained a tea spoonful of flour and vinegar and milk, which I knew had formerly acted like a charm when I was once before similarly affected. In about hour I was perfectly cured, and enabled to follow in the Procession bound for Town with the Minister (Sir John Robertson and Frank Sutton, Post Master General). I was in a carriage next to them, and in it were Alexander Stuart M.P., George A. Lloyd M.P., Heniker[?] Heaton for the Evening News, J Browne, one of the Aldermen and some others. The cavalcade proceeded up the [Square, Queen?] St, and returned again to near the Station where Sir J Robertson replied to an address. Saw near Alice Knyvett (nee Dulhunty) seated in a buggy with her children, and Mrs C. Tibbits with her two daughters. After this ceremony was over the Ministers were taken by the Mayor to the Public School, and I went over to call on Mrs Todhunter (nee Prout) who were at the Occidental with Miss Dupried who is Governess
Mrs Wade (the wife of the Engineer of the Western Line) was also there with the other Miss Duguid, the twin sister of the first named are. At 2.30 we all drove down to the Banquet held at the Masonic Hall, the ladies referred to were admitted at a side door, but the gentlemen had to wait at least half an hour before they could gain admission to the Banquet, we were hemmed in in the passage, almost squeezed to death by the surging crowd before and behind, many urging the front ones to rush the doors and evidencing their “Larrikin” propensities. I never reckoned at such fighting inch by inch for admission to any public entertainment, except perhaps years ago in England when going to the Opera to hear Jenny Lind. Having at last got in, or rather pushed in, I found myself at the top of the cross tables, near where the Mayor was to sit. W.H. Sutter (Sutton?] and Moore M.L.C. were just above me. The people once seated were impatient to being, and after waiting half and hour, they would not wait longer for the Mayor and Ministers but set to work eating and drinking. When however, the Mayor with Sir John Robertson, Frank Sutter, Alexander Stuart, George Lloyd and other M.P.’s came in people had nearly finished their repast. The Mayor apologised for the delay and stated it arose “from unavoidable circumstances.” After the usual loyal toasts had been proposed by the Chairman, (George H. Taylor) and

There way every sign of a coming storm and a good deal of thunder and lightning, however, we got there without any rain. I danced with Mrs Todhunter, the two Miss Daguids, Mrs Calvert, Mrs Scongell and Miss Greville. Amongst the party I recognised Mr, Mrs and the two Miss Caswells, from Wellington, the younger one rather pretty, a Miss Moore (sister of the Surveyor’s wife King) Miss Smith, daughter of Frank Smith of Cumboogle [amfall?[ Mr and Mr McLachlan of Orange, Mr and Mrs F. Marsh and daughter (Frida) Mr and Mrs Penzer (nee – ) Miss Nathan, Mr McFarlance, Burnett, Buckland who married Miss King, Hennether Heaton, Sir J. Robertson, Alexander Stuart, Frank Suttor, G.A.Lloyd, Mrs FitzGerald (nee Tibbits). The Belle of the Ball, one or two of the Bartons, Blaxland of Bank of N.S.Wales. Should imagine about 200, 300 persons altogether, many very good looking, and many very nicely dressed.
The Bathurst Band played admirably all the evening. Macarthur the Bandmaster led and Wyburd with the Drum. There were refreshments served during the Ball, Tea, Coffee, Leomonade, ice creams. I left about 2 o’clock and was fortunate to meet an empty waggonette which took me to Brownings Inn, where I was comfortably located.

Wednesday 2nd February 1881
Had my breakfast in bed at X. Got up at XI. After lunch, diner, at which 13 people were assembled (viz 3 Lydiards,. 1 Miss Fosbery, 3 Grevilles, G.Cruickshank, John McPhillamy, Black (Manager of Band of New South Wales, Bathurst), Wardell, Traill and myself). I went with George Cruickshank to the Dubbo Races, nothing but Larrikins it appeared to me were there. Under one of the trees in two buggies, horses I saw Mrs Knyvett (nee Alice Dulhunty) and Mrs R. Dulhunty (Miss Knyvett) both of whom were regretting having been present at the request of Ken Trashand[?] A very heavy thunder storm which they feared would come toward them made them hurry away from the Race Court, but they nevertheless were caught in it. I got into the buggy G. Cruickshank had borrowed from Moffatt, fortunately it had a hood, and I was protected. G. Cruickshank shortly after came and put the horse in and waited to see a race which started in the rain. We then left the Course and on our way I called at the Hospital and wrote my name and remarks in the Visitor’s Book. After getting in to the buggy, the rain came pouring down in torrents, and as we neared the Town, the streets were running with water and we had to pull up and turn the back of the buggy to the storm. The foot board had two inches of water and our feet necessarily got wet. Had to change my clothes on reaching the Inn. After tea G. Cruickshank went to a dance at the Bank of N.S.Wales given by the Manager (Mr McDiamard) who is married to Miss Johnson, daughter of the late Johnson, Solicitor, of Mudgee.
I forgot to say that before Lunch I called at Dr Tibbits, he out, saw Mrs Tibbits. They are living at the same place they did when I was living in Wellington. Called also on G.H. Taylor at his new residence, which cost him I understand nearly Ł2,000. Saw Mrs Taylor and Mrs McLaughlan of Orange. G. Cruickshank drove me to their place. I also took him over the Court House and Gaol, and saw Mrs Wilkie who shot Norton Pith, she is a very handsome looking woman about 35 years and has great character, quite an “air de tęte.” She had a little child in her arms of about 15 months but did not appear in the slightest degree abashed at seeing us. She is committed to take her trial at the next Circuit Court in Dubbo, on the charge of murder:- Norton it is said, not one [‘to a deal’ [?] crossed out] gave her the pistol, but actually loaded it for her [for her] to protect herself from Mrs Norton.

Thursday 3rd February 1881
Still very close and cloudy and threatening for rain. After lunch Browning drove me, in his buggy, about the town, called at the Mechanical Institute to have a look at my picture which was done in crayons at the request of the Committee, by Mrs Oswald Allen, of Sydney in honor of my having been the first President and originator of the Mechanical Institute at Dubbo. Beside mine was another Portrait of the late George Taylor, Solicitor, who was elected President after I left the District. This is a most terrible daub, and was copied not from life, but from a Photograph. Next to Taylor’s portrait there is a very good one of Sir A. Stephen with all his orders upon him. The Hall was occupied by goods for the Catholic Bazaar which will be held here every night in this week. After we had inspected the School of Arts, Taylor took us over the Masonic Hall, of which he is “a distinguished member,” and afterwards I called on Mrs Moffatt (who lives opposite) and saw Matilda’s sister, to whom I gave the parcel and 5/- she, Matilda, had entrusted me with; she begged me to tell Matilda she “had passed a pleasant Christmas and was quite well.” I then drove to look at the interior of the Church of England Church, and from thence to the McGuinn’s. Saw all the “Olive Branches,” who have grown up to man and womanhood. Mrs McQuinn [McGuinn?] is not in the slightest degree changed. They have still our old Broadwood Piano, which we brought out from England 33 years ago, and which was purchased at our Sale at Wellington for Ł30, I think. It has a sweet tone still, though horribly out of tune. After staying with the McGuinns till after 6 McGuinn walked with me to call on Mrs Jenner [Serixer? Jerixer?], who seems not to be much troubled about Serisier’s death, talked of him as she would if she had only lost a dog or a cat and confirming the report I heard of her going to be married soon to her present partner in the business; a Frenchman of about 40 years old. She says she has let the Store part of the premises, but keeps the back part in which the sitting rooms and bedrooms are. She says she had 25 people staying with here on the day of the Opening of the Railway. Amongst others Miss Kellerman her niece who was at the Ball and Mrs Davies and family, the wife of John Davies C.M.G. who though strangers to her, were on the arrival of the train were ignorant of where to go to for accommodation. So she took them in. Mr McGuinn is very anxious that Grace should come up from Sydney and, stay with them for change of air. He pointed out the “Pleasure of the Situation” having all his young people now grown up who would administer to her intellectual enjoyment, and the comfort if not luxury of the slab tenement they dwell in! I told him I would deliver his invitation, and that I dare say a very hearty response would be given to it, both by herself and her phenomenon of a niece.

Friday 4th February 1881
Very black clouds in the sky, very sultry the weather and every thing portending rain.
Browning drove me a little before nine to the Train. On my way called to see John Garvin at the Survey Office. He is looking all the better for the change:- The Train was not punctual and we had to wait till the Mail Train has arrived from Wellington. It did not start therefore till 9.30. Dr Tibbits came to see me here having only just come in from a long visit into the Country: he did not attend Banquet or Ball, and I gather he disapproved of both proceedings, which he characterized as “Caddism.” We were a long time getting to Wellington only 30 miles; when we got near Gobolin a horse was right in front of the engine and kept galloping ahead of the engine on the line, necessitating slacking of speed till the gate leading to the main road was reached when the animal turned away from the rail, and we pushed on. A Commercial Traveller who was my fellow passenger recommended me to go to Moss’s Inn, (on the flat) built by C.Mylecharane, and just in front of the old Inn (kept by Jonathan Wheeler) which is now a ruin, and gave me a fit of the blues looking at it from my bedroom window. I recollect years ago, holding a Magisterial Inquiry upon the dead body of Jonathan Wheeler, he having died from delirium tremens, but after the decision and his burial, it was circulated that he had died from an overdose of Morphine administered by the late Dr Silver, and it gave rise to the exhumation of the body and a Coroner’s Inquest being held by Arthur Templer, then of Orange, who on the post mortem made by Dr Ross and after and Analysis of the contents of the Stomach, pronounced that he died of “Natural Causes.” After having had Lunch I hired Moss’s buggy and drove out to “Milbulla,” where I saw Mrs Frederick and Frida Marsh. The house and furniture is exactly as I last saw it 12 years ago, but the whole of the ground in front and back of the house is laid out in Vines. Frida has grown up a very nice looking girl and nice slight figure, and rather an engaging manner. Stayed half an hour and then went on to the Caswells, who are living in Mrs Dunlop’s old cottage near the Mill. Mrs Caswell is not yet reconciled I can see, to the change from “Moruya”, her youngest daughter is very pretty, and seems to play well. She tried the piano which they have just got from Sydney, one of Lipps, a beautifully tuned one. Called at the Court House on my return, where I saw Frederick Marsh. The present Court House new since I left, is situated in a street running up from the old Court House, a very indifferent building and though brick, not much improvement on the wooden building where I adjudicated. Mr Caswell has thought fit to plant numbers of Sunflowers round it, “a perfect wilderness” of Sunflowers it may be termed. After leaving the Court house, I took a stroll in the direction of where the Garvins once lived. Nought remains but the cottage itself, no outbuildings, no [Slvetyard?] as heretofore, and the house itself un-tennanted, all the windows broken and a look of despair about the whole place;- not far off is an Inn lately built, and the intervening space between the Garvin’s and it has been used as a camping place for Teamsters. I saw Dunsford [D. Unsford, Undgon?] the shoe maker who told me much of some of the old hands about, those that were dead, who had left, and of others who had come. I walked to the Lamberts, who are living in what was once Drew’s Cottage, near our old house, not much change in Mrs Lambert but in Lambert I thought there was; he had two of his children with him, a girl of about 15 and a boy about 17. It came on to pour with rain, and I was therefore detained here till the rain moderated. I had a wet muddy walk home to “mine Inn,” and saw on the way Sarah Bernasconi (Payne) and her husband, the former desirous to be remembered to Grace and Milly. Continued to pour with rain all night; and the temperature changed from being excessively warm to being cool and pleasant.

Saturday 5th February 1881
Pouring rain in the morning which continued at intervals all day and the weather cool enough for a great coat. At 10 minutes to 9 o’clock the Innkeeper’s man drove me up to Train expecting it would start for Blayney in 5 minutes. Much disappointed to find owing to alteration of Time Table it would not leave today till 12. I had therefore to delay 3 hours, and to kill time called to see Mrs Crane, saw here and her daughter Lizzie. She game me a terrible account of her husband Peter Crane. He has taken to drinking and was trying to get a divorce out of pure jealousy. I spoke to an Innkeeper living near who Mrs Crane stated encouraged him to spend his money at his Inn. I also spoke to Caswell and Frederick Marsh. Remained till Ľ to 12 at Court House talking to Frederick Marsh. On reaching the Railway Terminus, saw Mrs Daniel there, with her buggy awaiting the arrival of a younger son from Dubbo:- saw also Earnest Matthews [writing changed to vague pencil] and in the distance [Stace] driving a sort of buggy, and sitting on a case for a seat. He has the same villainous face he ever had. The Train was a luggage train, a very long one and we did not leave Wellington till 12.30. Had various stoppages along the road, on account of the want of steam, which had to be [form?] up continuously. Pouring rain all the while and severe thunder storms with [wind?] lightning around us. We reached Orange at about 5, and here [obtained??] several passengers for Bathurst, amongst them Mr Wade and Miss Duguid who now – stay with the Bassetts. They were escorted to the train by J and G Mrs Codington, and Mr Wardell. We reached Blayney by 6 and here found Milly had been waiting for me ever since 2 o’clock. He brought in Buggy and pair for me, and little Jack had come with him. We were only an hour and 5 minutes from Blayney to Carcoar, the roads were much cut up by the heavy rain which had fallen only an hour before, and which Milly as well as myself fortunately escaped. The weather being very cold and I had on two great coats. Jack was asleep nearly all the way, his head resting on me. It was so cold in the evening, that Milly had a fire lighted which both of us appreciated.

Sunday 6th February 1881
Showers through the day and cold. Went to Church in the morning with Milly and Jack. Hurst, the Incumbent, (a tall, thin, dark man, with spectacles and sepulchral voice) performed the service. Lectured his congregation (about 15 or 20 people) against their offerings being made into any blemishes in them, more especially against the habit of giving the smallest coin in the Realm (3d penny bits I suppose) when the plate was handed around. Mr North called in the afternoon. Had a fire all day.

Monday 7th February 1881
A fine day and pleasant temperature. After 10 o’clock dinner, walked up with Amy and the baby to Mrs North’s, where I saw Gracie, who can toddle about, but is not very forward in her speaking. Can only say a few words. Saw John McKillip near his Bank (the Commercial).
Mr North went to Blayney to hold Court in company with Mr Dodd the Solicitor. In addition to Caroar, and Blayney he also has to attend the Benches of Cowra and Canowindra once a month.

Tuesday 8th February 1881
A beautiful day. After breakfast went with Milly to the temporary Court house (the old one having been pulled down and a new one in course of erection) held at what was the Telegraph Office. Mr North and a Mr Tanner (Son of the Innkeeper at Blackheath some 25 years ago) were the presiding Justices. A few small debts cases were heard and then breaches of the Stock Act;- “Sheep not traveling 6 miles a day &c.” Mr M Rothery and his sons were in court to give evidence their sheep being passed through and camped on his run “Clifden.” I only remained up to luncheon time, but the Court was not over till 5 or 6 o’clock. A Mr. Warner (who is a J.P.) is employed by Mr North to take the depositions and act as his C.P.S.
After dinner I went for a short ride with Milly, on Tanner’s chesnut pony, which is under offer of sale to me, we went first to Stoke, did not go in however, and then up the hill ˝ a mile out of town, towards Coomby, overlooking the Town and also Coomby in the distance, a very pretty view; – and the property alongside of where we were has been purchased by Mr Dodd the Solicitor from Charles Icely. The pony walking very well, and seems very sure footed.
The Rothery’s drove out of Carcoar at 6, and Milly says will not reach home much before 8, as Rothery is a slow driver. Milly has two horses in the stable, a fine 6[?] year old filly, by a Deer Slayer “imported, out of “Attraction,” and a harness horse which he calls “Stranger,” one of the pair he drove me in to Carcoar from Blayney.
Felt very unwell, pain in the back, shoulders, nape of neck &c, did not get up till X.30. Heard from Grace.

Wednesday 9th February 1881
Beautiful day. Cool wind blowing. Awoke this morning with great pain in back, compression in head, rheumatic pain in shoulders and arms, pressure and a general feeling of exhaustion and debility. Had breakfast in bed, and did not get out of my room till XI. A feeling of drowsiness after dinner and aches in finger joints. After 1 o’clock dinner, Milly and Amy took a ride to see a person named Rowland, at a farm 7 miles from Carcoar [‘place called Mallow Grove’ crossed out].
Called on Mrs North and saw Gracie, and stayed talking until 5.30.
Wrote to Grace, and Hawkins. As I came from Mrs North’s, overtaken by Dr and Mrs Smith, the first time I have seen the latter, at a distance she appears rather a good looking woman of about 35 with profusion of light golden hair. She had her veil down, so could not see her features and figure appeared short, and clumsy [chumsy?]. He was driving a fine pair of chesnut horses, got I understand by T. Icely’s imported horse “Deer Slayer.” Milly and Amy did not return from their ride till after 7. She complaining of being tired, the horse she was riding being a strong [puller?] After tea Milly attended a Race Meeting, and Amy went to see her mother, the children having gone to bed.
Heard today from Grace that Sarah was married to Cunningham.

Thursday 10th February 1881
Very unwell all day, choleraic symptoms again. Pain in back, [strong?] pains in joints, stiffness in nape of neck and shoulders. Feeling of great exhaustion and debility, drowsiness, and indisposition to move. Didn’t get up till X.30, and lay down on sofa much of the day. No appetite whatever. Did not go out till nearly 3 o’clock, took a stroll for a quarter of an hour, met John McKillop of Commercial Bank and had a yarn with him. Milly went to Agricultural Meeting which was adjourned. After tea W.B.Simpson called, he(with his wife) on his way from Cowron [?] to Sydney by Mail Train tonight and left in Coach for Blayney.
Milly’s servant boy left today which gives him the trouble of getting up his cows and attending to his horses himself.

Friday XI February 1881
Very warm day. Felt much better today. At XII walked up with Amy to say goodbye to Mrs North and the children. Milly busy in getting North’s buggy ready to take me to Blayney, X miles from Carcoar. He drove his horse “Stranger” and borrowed a little mare from North, a great slug requiring whip the whole way. After a hasty lunch at 12.30 we (including Amy) left Carcoar at 1.30 and reached Blayney Ľ to 3 o’clock. The Sun very warm and it is fortunate that Amy did not bring little Jack who was quite disconcerted at being refused. On arrival at the Station found that the Train did not leave for Bathurst till 3.30, and that moreover, there would be no carriages, but only a Break Van, it being only a luggage train. As it take two hours to reach Bathurst and as I had written to Hawkins to meet me at 5, I could not postpone my departure till the next train at 6, when 1st Class Carriages would be put on. I therefore went in the Break Van, and with the aid of my Portmanteau and coats made up a tolerable seat. We reached Bathurst at 5.30, and I found Hawkins waiting for me in his buggy, he having been at the station nearly half and hour. We reached Walmer a little after 6, and found Mrs Hawkins very glad to see me. Mr Frank Suttor and Mr [Whittash?] Johnson drank tea, came and went together [orby?] at X.30, Mr Sutton driving. A beautiful moonlight night. My fellow passenger in the Break Van, was travelling with 80 sheep for Sydney, and I was surprised to hear form him, that he had to pay 1/1 per head for sheep put in a truck at Orange for Sydney. Dr Fortis is building a very nice house near the railway station and higher up the street Dr Spencer is building, and nearly completed another very large one. As I got out of the train I saw Mrs Stewart of Mt Pleasant in her Waggonette having come to meet someone by train. I heard from Hawkins that her husband’s brother-in-law Kennedy, formerly a Bank Manager in Bathurst had just died and was to be buried tomorrow. Otherwise she to would have been at the Hawkins’ this evening.

Saturday 12th February 1881
Very warm day, 91ş in the shade. After breakfast at X.30 Hawkins drove me out;- called first on the way on Mrs Frank Suttor, “Bradwardine,” saw her and her children. Frank Suttor does not come up from Sydney till tonight by Mail Train. We then drove over the bridge to Viels’s, and called on Richards, passing on the way Wm Oakes’ house and having Rutherford’s new house in sight which he has lately built at Hareford. We met on the road Miss Lydiard and Miss Forbery by themselves driving. Richards not much altered, but he is suffering much from inflammation of the eyes, which keeps him a prisoner in the house. After remaining about ľ of an hour, we returned to Walmer and had dinner at 1.30. Afterwards Mrs Hawkins went with her daughter Mrs Frank Suttor, who drove, to an afternoon tea at Mrs John Busbys. (and at which I understand were present Mrs Alexander Stuart of Sydney who is staying with Mrs Busby. Old Mrs Busby and her daughter (Mary) now Mrs [blank]: Mrs Marsden the Bishops wife, Mrs Lee, wife of the PM.
After dinner Hawkins drove me to Mt. Pleasant, to look at the house James Stuart has just built, opposite to his old residence;- a magnificent pile, of granite, and the finest house I have seen in any part of the Colony. Quite like an old Baronial Hall, in England, and situated all round most agreeable to the eye, hill, dale, river and trees all blended together and forming a landscape which would well repay any artist at home to paint the flowers, they said.
From the Pinnocks called at the John Smiths at Lanarth, saw only Mrs Smith. Stayed for half an house and drove back to the Hawkins in time for tea. Shepherd charged new 12/- for the Cab.
After tea Whittingdale Johnson, called, and remained talking till pat X.
Did not find any mosquitoes at the Hawkins’, although their house is close to the river, and surrounded with trees.

Got to page 49

Monday 14th. February 1881
Had breakfast at 8, left a little after 9. Hawkins drove me to the Train which we reached at 9.30, had to wait on Platform till X.5 when the train left for Sydney. The weather very cold, a southerly wind blowing, and occasional storm of rain. On reaching Mt. Wilson Edward Merewether got on to the carriage I was in, and at Mt. Victoria a great many more passengers took their seats. Amongst others Lady Deas Thompson, her daughter and Miss Lawson, by themselves in the Ladies Carriage. In the Saloon Mr and Mrs Billyard, their daughter and some young man in attendance, who looked “like a lover.” Mrs Purvis (nee Metcalf) the handsome Mrs Purvis was also in the Saloon, with I think her sister, and some gentleman friend. I unfortunately chose a carriage which was set apart for a smoking carriage, and of which circumstance I was made painfully aware on seeing six people take out six pipes and commence blowing and puffing like a steam engine. Saw Mr Pendegast [Prendegast?], Miss Cracknell on the platform, they are staying at Mt. Victoria for the benefit of their health.
We reached Redfern Terminus at about 6, and Pendegast gave me a seat in his cab up to Morton.
On the Junction Platform to Parramatta, I saw Mrs Euphemia Duguid who was at the opening of the Dubbo Railway, and who on her way down stayed at the Bassetts in Bathurst

Page 49.
We would have called on the Stewarts, but Kennedy, his brother-in-law, was buried today, and of course we out of delicacy refrained.
Afterwards we drove over the Rankins[?] Bridge, and on to W.Suttor’s residence “Kaigowa,” near Alloway Bank. He was also out, but we saw Mrs W. Suttor, (nee Bowler), also Pauline Griffin (F.Suttor’s sister) and a Mr – [blank] of the Bank of N.S.Wales who has come up for his health and is suffering from Rheumatic fever, he married a daughter of Charles Suttor. We stayed about ľ of an hour. I never saw such capital grass as there is in Suttor’s paddocks, and in the garden abundance of Rosemary and Lavender. We intended calling on Mrs Lydiard but it being past 6 when we passed through Bathurst, we were afraid of being late at Walmer. Drove down to the Terminus instead to inquire what time the Train left for Sydney on Monday. And then drove to Walmer, meeting Mrs Frank Suttor on the way, having just left her Mother at home.
We had to pass the Hospital on the way which is situated on a north commanding eminence overlooking the plains in the direction of Allary Bank &c. It is a very large building, far beyond the requirements of the place, and consists of two large wings on either side of the house provided for the Officers of the Institution and unconnected, though at a distance it does not appear so. It is within a quarter of a mile of George Pinnock’s residence and has been built at public cost I believe, and quite out of debts.
I am quite astonished at the wonderful progress Bathurst has been made during the last 6 or 7 years. All the families around the neighbourhood, have built large comfortable houses, and all have outwardly and appearance of immense prosperity. J.Clements, who a few years ago, was struggling hard, with his head hardly above water, has a fine square built two storied house, near where Dr Palmer lived in a piece of ground adjoining.
The new Court House, Telegraph and Post Offices which have cost the Government Ł50 or Ł60,000 have given an impetus to every one in the building mania, and persons ideas appear much more grand and extensive now then 20 years ago.

[Pencil written notes scribbled out]
To times, it has been a sever if pro—
G. Taylor
T.Browne P.M.
S.J. Brown
G. Cruckshank
Mr and Mrs F. Marsh.
Caswell P.M.
Mr, Mrs J McPhillamy
Miss Nathan

Mrs Todhunter
Miss Duguid
Mrs Wade
Miss A Duguid
S Conjall
Miss Moore
Mr and Mrs Calvert
Mrs J Lempell
Mrs Fitzgerald
S Garvin.

As to papers, memo, re Glasslington Foolery.[Forbery, Robbery?]

Redfern – Railway 5
Wellington Inn 11
Dubbo – Servant, cab 7
Wellington (return) Inn 14
Cab – Bathurst visit 12
Carcoar – servants and – 6
Bathurst –Boots 1
Sheppard – Cab and arrival 3
Church (Carcoar) 2.6
13th Feb
Church Bathurst 1
Memo Book 1
Telegram to Sydney 1
Telegram to Wellington 1
Telegram to Carcoar 2
Church at Bathurst 2
Race Course. 2

[Pencil note or draft letter scribbled out]
I have to thank you for the compliment paid us in foregoing our [travelling?] and inviting us to … continues. Hard to read.]